Timothy Lee is an advertising maverick that got his start on Myspace way back in the day. In this episode, Tim shares the ins and outs of the digital advertising platforms available and what you want to think about as you start considering them for your business.
3 Main Takeaways:
- Your level of education does not equal or limit your potential for success in this life.
- Failure is something that comes for every person striving for more. Accept it, expect it and learn to keep getting up.
- Don’t try to spread yourself too thin across too many tasks because you won’t do any of them well.
2:25 – You run a mastermind called Marketer’s Elite. What were some of the big takeaways from your last event?
- Go for wins. Don’t focus on the money, focus on the small progress you are making everyday towards your goals.
- Use surveys to engage with your audience on a deeper level.
- Facebook groups are a great tool to leverage in your business.
4:45 – What got you started in your entrepreneurial journey?
- At 14, Tim started his first company helping recording artists on Myspace.
- When Facebook came around, he dove in deep and started learning the ads platform.
10:30 – You seem to have had a knack for advertising since a young age…
- Tim has always been drawn to computers and tech came easy to him.
- He was home-schooled and never graduated high school, yet now he runs a wildly successful advertising agency now that brings in over $60k per month.
14:07 – What are some tips you could give to getting over the fear of failure?
- Tim says you have to realize that you’re going to fail. But it’s ok, you get up and keep going.
- Set yourself up for success by writing down your goals each day.
- Watch the movie “The Secret” on Netflix. It’s a very powerful movie.
16:50 – What are some things that are exciting you about the future about digital media?
- It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in regards to regulations on social media.
- He is interested in watching what happens with Snapchat and Tik Tok and he’s keeping an eye on the advertising platforms.
- He’s also excited to get started with Instagram advertising.
19:28 – Can you describe in your words what Snapchat and Tik Tok is?
- Snapchat is basically disappearing selfies… It’s big with millennials.
- Tik Tok is a platform where you can upload short videos and create virality.
21:38 – What is the one biggest Facebook hack you could tell us?
- It’s amazing how many businesses don’t have a Facebook pixel on their website.
22:55 – How are you managing your life and work and keeping balance?
- Tim leverages VAs (virtual assistants) to help him offload some of the repetitive tasks he has to do.
- He has a good team he can rely on which helps him travel and have fun in the way he wants.
26:20 – What process do you use to vet a VA to make sure they can do the job you’re asking them to do?
- Tim likes to jump on a video call with each VA to talk to them through the job task and to see how they would accomplish it.
- Check out iworker.co
27:50 – What are some things you do for fun?
- Tim loves to travel to see different cities and cultures.
- He also enjoys kayaking even though he lost his $300 glasses last time lol!
30:12 – Based on all your experience thus far, what is one piece of advice you would tell yourself 5-10 years ago?
- Stay focused and stop trying to do 20 things at once.
- Find a mentor that you can work well with.
31:10 – Where can everyone find you online?
- Facebook @timothyleelive @blokagency www.themarketerselite.com